Sunday, May 15, 2011

Moon

What I want to show on this post is the first original song I wrote with my old band, The Electric Axis. However, please let me give a brief history of the band first. Marito, Nanga and me started playing for a physics project that although required no musical factor to it we essentially turned it into a music video. After playing for a while we decided we needed a name, since none of us could come up with a creative enough name we ended up calling ourselves Drupi & The Blowfish, which would later become Marito and Drupi & Blowfish and eventually Marito Drupi and Nang. At this point we realized how dumb the name had actually turned out to bee so we threw that out. And so, again, we didn't have a name and you have to understand that we didn't actually need a name. we weren't playing any gigs none of our friends knew we had a band but we still wanted a name, immature and childish? probably. Eventually we realized that our biggest musical connection was the one and only Mr. Jimi Hendrix and so we decided to dedicate our band name to him, so we cose two albums recorded by The Jimi Hendrix Experience: "Axis: Bold as Love" and "Electric Ladyland" and from there came The Electric Axis. To be completely honest the bands success is, sadly, that of any high school band. We started playing, we had a few small shows where the audience were our close friends and family, we recorded a few original songs, and we all went of to college. I find the most enjoyable part of being with this band to be the small shows we played but what I'm most proud of are the songs we were able to compose and record.

Moon is the first song we composed and recorded. I wrote the main concept in my guitar as soon as I got my dunlop cry baby, and if you pay any attention to the song you'll quickly notice the over use of it in the rhythm guitar. we recorded the whole song in my room using an M-Audio Fast Track, Pro Tools M-Powered and my slight knowledge for recording music. After showing my idea to Marito and Nanga they quickly found their parts on the project Marito focused on the drums, bass and backing vocals while Nanga focused on the lyrics and melody, of course everyone helped each other out to te point that I dont see any particular part of this to be an individual success but a collaborative effort. If memory serves me right it took about 3 days of work spread over a week to write and record this, after I edited and mixed it this is what we ended up with:
Moon by Electric Axis

As for the lyrics of the song I'll clarify what they mean. This song shows the story of a blind man begging the moon for its sight back and the moon eventually giving the blind man his sight. The sung part by Nanga is the blind man the spoken voice by Marito is the moon and the guitar solo by me is the act of the moon giving the blind man his sight back. How on earth we ended up with that will forever be beyond my understanding.
I hope you enjoy the song, I know it has several flaws but keep in mind this is our first song, all suggestions are welcomed.



No comments:

Post a Comment